Painting a Level
The 2D Game Kit uses Unity’s Tilemap feature, which is designed to help you draw out a level quickly and easily. The Kit has everything set up for you, so you can get started straight away.
Let’s start designing a level:
- In the top menu, go to Window > Tile Palette
The Tile Palette window looks like this:
We have created two Tilesets that allow you to draw out levels. These tiles use the Scriptable Tile system of the Unity Tilemap. They automatically choose the right sprite for a platform. We have two styles of sprites: Grassy Rocks and Alien Structure.
We need to make sure the correct set of tiles is selected in Tile Palette;
- Click the Tileset Menu
- Click on Tileset_Gamekit
- Pick the type of tile you like best for your level
Now let’s paint some tiles in the scene to create a level;
- Click on a tile in the Tile Palette to select it
- Navigate to the Scene View
- Left-click and drag to draw your level
If you make a mistake, you can hold Shift and left-click or drag to erase Tiles.