Get insight into our future plans, and when you can expect new features and functionality in Unity to be released.
Please note that our primary goal is to provide you with stable and reliable releases. As such, any indications of target release dates and features listed are subject to change.RSS feed
- At Risk
- On Track
2018.1.0Download Current Release
Released May 2, 2018
2D Physics - Multithreaded Simulation (experimental)
2D Physics simulation ability to run on multiple cores.
Add support for IL2CPP scripting backend for macOS standalone
Add support for IL2CPP scripting backend for macOS standalone. This brings the CPU speed improvements of il2cpp to the MacOS standalone player.
Add support for IL2CPP scripting backend for windows standalone
Add support for IL2CPP scripting backend for windows standalone. This brings the CPU speed improvements of il2cpp to the Windows standalone player.
Animation: Weighted Tangents
This feature allows animators to create animation curves with fewer keys and smoother curves, by letting them control the weight of the tangents. Once a tangent is set to Weighted, the user can stretch it to affect the curve interpolation without adding any additional keys, for a smoother, more precise result.
Audio Sample Output API
Build Reports C# API
Allows retrieval of information about the build process after it has completed.
Building Android games as ARM64 bit executables - Preview
Adding ARM64 bit runtime support for Android, based on IL2CPP technology. Currently, only 32-bit ARM or x86 builds for Android can be produced using Unity. Almost all current chipsets ship as 64-bit however, and we're not leveraging the advantages that brings: running 64-bit Android apps will have performance benefits, plus games will be able to address more than 4 GB of memory space.
Built-in support for Resonance Audio spatializer
Integrated support for the Resonance Audio spatializer in the Unity Editor.
C# Job System
Support for asynchronous jobs in C#
C# Job system support for Navmesh navigation
Adds support for position, rotation, scale, aim and parent constraints.
Dynamic Resolution for PS4
Allows users to scale their render textures by a given percentage per-frame at runtime to have better control of the GPU load and maintain framerate.
GPU Instancing: Support for GI
Improve Crash Handling & Reporting
- Improve the user experience when Unity crashes: more sensible and informative error messages, better reporting UI, and so on.
- Report crash information to Unity's Performance Reporting service. This will help Unity diagnose and eliminate common crashes.
- Improve the reliability and accuracy of the crash handling process in Unity.
Lightmap UV overlap visualization
UV overlap visualization makes it easy to detect and resolve lightmap chart bleeding
Multi-Platform AR APIs - Preview
Provides experimental base APIs for building mobile AR apps across ARKit (iOS) and ARCore (Android).
Net Standard 2.0 Support and New "Unity" Profile
Net Standard 2.0 Support
New "Unity" Profile (supporting netstandard 2.0) optimized for size and AOT friendly
Particle System GPU Mesh Instancing
Adds support to the Particle System to render meshes using efficient GPU Instancing, when instancing shaders are applied to Particle Systems. On GPU that support instancing, this allows you to render more particles in less time.
Particle System Orbital/Radial Velocity
Adds new options to the Velocity over Lifetime module to add orbital and radial velocity:
- Orbital velocity spins particles around their Transform component
- Radial velocity propels particles out from the center
- Orbital offset, which allows users to specify a custom center for the rotation.
Particle System Sub Emitter improvements
Adds the ability to trigger Sub Emitters from the Trigger Module, and also via script.
Particle System Texture Emission Shape
Take the colors and alpha from a Texture source, and use it to generate particles.
Physics C# Job system support - async raycasts
C# Job system support for async raycasts.
Allows users to:
- Create and apply Preset assets directly from nearly any object inspector using the new Preset tool, or from the new API
- Apply Presets with drag & drop
- Set global default Presets from a Preset's inspector or from the new Preset Manager
- Create importers and Components with default Presets from UI, or using a new object creation API
- Display and edit Presets in the new Preset inspector
- Individual types can be blacklisted to prevent them from being "presettable"
Progressive Lightmapper Large Scene Support
Scriptable Rendering Pipelines
- Complete rendering pipelines constructed & driven from C# code
- Similar to CommandBuffers, but operate on whole sets of objects, with efficient implementations in native code
- Can imagine something like “deferred shading” just being a C# script that you can also modify to your needs (change G-buffer layout etc.)
Stereo 360 Capture
Experimental feature. Adds support for capturing monoscopic or stereoscopic 360 images as cubemap images. Works in the editor and at runtime.
Tessellation for Metal
Tessellation for Metal
Timeline: Clip Edit Modes
Mix, Ripple and Replace edit modes for Timeline clips,
Video: Android Asset Bundle Support
Beta coming soon
2D Tilemap Isometric
Enables tilemap users to build isometric or hexagonal tilemaps.
Add WebAssembly multi-threading support
C#7 - Roslyn
Update to use the Roslyn compiler. This will let users use the latest C# 7 features, including compute.
Particle System Burst Probability
Add a new property to the Burst UI, which gives bursts a random chance of not being triggered at all.
Particle System Ordered Mesh Emission
A new option in the Shape Module for meshes, called "Vertex Ordered", which emits particles from each vertex of the mesh in order.
This option behaves similarly to the Systematic option in the Legacy Particle System, and is being added prior to the final removal of the Legacy Particle System.
Particle System Roll (for VR)
A new checkbox to disable roll when the camera rolls. This is most useful in VR applications where users do not want particles to follow the camera when the user rolls their head from side to side.
Particle System Texture Sheet Animation Improvements
Adds 2 new modes to the Texture Sheet Animation Module:
- An FPS mode, where animations play at a fixed FPS, regardless of particle lifetimes
- A speed-based mode, where the animation frame is chosen based on particle speed, rather than age
Upgrade NVIDIA PhysX from 3.3 to 3.4
Remove the Legacy Particle System
It is time to remove the Legacy Particle System.
We are providing an upgrader on GitHub, which will convert Legacy Components (e.g. ParticleEmitter) into new Components (e.g. ParticleSystem). this upgrade should be performed in Unity 2018.2 or earlier.
Starting with Unity 2018.3, Legacy Particle Components will not work.
2018.2.0Download Current Beta
Beta in progress
Animation Stream API (C# jobs)
ARM64 bit support for Android
Enable ARM64 bit support for Android, based on IL2CPP technology. Running 64-bit Android apps will have performance benefits, plus games will be able to address more than 4 GB of memory space.
C# Platform Certificate Store Synchronization
Certificate validation using .Net or UnityWebRequest APIs now validates against the platform system CA store where possible.
On XboxOne, PS Vita and Nintendo 3DS, which doesn't provide access to system store validation, an embedded CA store is used for validation.
C# TLS provider through mbedTLS
Support for TLS 1.2 (secure socket) from .NET code
Drop support for UnityScript
As our [blog](https://blogs.unity3d.com/2017/08/11/unityscripts-long-ride-off-into-the-sunset/) noted, we are dropping UnityScript support.
- Stopped accepting new Asset Store packages with UnityScript code
- Notified Asset Store author and removed Asset Store Package with UnityScripts
- Implemented [conversion tool](https://github.com/Unity-Technologies/unityscript2csharp)
High DPI monitor support for Windows
Support for per-monitor display scale factors on Windows.
IL2CPP managed debugger
IL2CPP managed debugging enables developers to use their preferred debugger to find and fix errors, even when using the IL2CPP back end. All debugging features should be supported for Visual Studio (with Visual Studio Tools for Unity) and Jetbrains Rider on Standalone, Playstation 4, and Mobile platforms.
Updates Camera component to optionally allow setting Focal Length / Sensor Size instead of vertical FOV in "Physical Camera" mode. These values will also be imported from FBX.
TLS 1.2 is now supported across all platforms. This brings the ability to secure your network traffic with the latest standards.
Support for using Java source files as plugins in Unity project
Ability to add .java (and .cpp) source files to Unity project plugin folder and those will be recognized as Unity plugins without requiring to separately build libraries for plugins in Android studio.
Support meshes with 8 UVs
Support for up to 8 UVs for model import, Mesh API and in shaders. Previously the maximum was 4.
Texture Mipmap Streaming
The Texture mipmap Streaming system gives you direct control over which mipmap levels are loaded into memory. Helping reduce the total amount of memory required for textures by only loading the mipmaps needed to render the current camera position in a scene. It trades a small cost of CPU for GPU memory saving.
Adds a number of small improvements to the TrailRenderer:
- SetPositions/AddPositions API
- Trails smoothly remove their old points, to remove visual popping.
- A new "Emit" checkbox, to allow trails to start/stop emitting geometry.
Vulkan support for Editor on Windows and Linux (experimental)
Experimental support for running the editor on Vulkan for both Windows and Linux.
Feedback BuildsHelp us make Unity better
Usability and Functional Feedback (Targeted or Public)
Editor: Linux Support
Unity Feedback Link - Linux Support for Editor
New Input System (Preview)
Create a better, more adaptable input system for Unity.
- Event-based, framerate-independent input delivery
- Custom device creation
- More consistency between platforms and input devices
- Better integration of variety of input types
- Better support for multiple control schemes
- Better separation between input and game logic
- Deeper API access
- More customizability
Redesigned editor asset and component icons
The icons are getting a stylistic update, while being designed for greater consistency.
In-progress, timelines long or uncertain
2D Physics - Low Level API
- Expose low-level collider primitives of circle, edge, polygon & capsule and ability to retrieve from existing Collider 2D components.
- New 2D collider with ability to be composed of low-level collider primitives.
- Super fast, primitive intersection tests with batching support not requiring 2D collider components.
- Gizmo support for primitive collider shapes of circle, edge, polygon & capsule. Useful in visualising/debugging intersection tests.
2D Physics - Simulation
- Multi-instance 2D physics worlds.
- Ability to assign simulation group(s) to Rigidbody2D and simulate specific group(s) and/or calculate contacts for those group(s) only.
- Expose contact processing allowing users to defer contact solving, enable/disable contacts etc.
Add WebAssembly multi-threading support
Android App Bundles for Google Play
Support for Android App Bundle (https://developer.android.com/guide/app-bundle/) the new upload format for Google Play, which allows to generate and serve optimized APKs for each user’s device configuration.
Animation Generic IK
User definable IK chains
Apple Watch Basic Compatibility
Add the ability to record Main and Mixer outputs to file
Automatic convex decompositions
- Integrate V-HACD
- A single mesh can be automatically decomposed into a set of convex MeshColliders
- Helps with collision detection performance and accuracy
- Enables sophisticated meshes on dynamic bodies and triggers
Basic Player Localization
The basic player localization feature is a set of features to add localization support in games made with Unity.
Deeper, more prominent reporting of information about the player build process and outputs.
Distributed LAN lighting builds
Polish the Hackweek X project on distributing lighting builds (precompute/baking) across machines on a LAN. The aim is to make a system that will automatically discover available machines and use them for time consuming lighting builds. No setup should be required. Video .
Editor DPI Emulation
Extend Game View resolutions by also emulating a given DPI.
Particularly useful for getting accurate representations of UI layouts on target devices.
Freeform Animation : Modular Rigging
A form of rigging that uses a collection of interchangeable parts that connect together to create a modular rig. Each interchangeable part is comprised of a series of RigConstraints that defines how the part moves, deforms, and is influenced by other parts of the ControlRig.
Garbage Collector Upgrade
Upgrade to a modern, generational, low latency Garbage Collector (GC). This will reduce stutters and time spikes spent in GC during collection.
Support for GPU acceleration of the Progressive Lightmapper. On machines with beefy GPUs lightmap baking with the Progressive Lightmapper will be significantly faster. This will improve iteration and end-to-end baking times. Does not affect the Enlighten baking backend.
Graphics: Expose more formats to C#
Allows creating texture and rendertexture with all the formats supported by modern GPUs
Gives the users ability to easily view all the draw calls for the IMGUI, with the option to open the source file in the right location, view all the data used to render the item.
Improved Prefab Workflows
This update introduces a number of improvements to Unity’s Prefab workflows.
- Nested Prefabs. Yes, it’s finally happening.
- Prefab Variants. This feature lets a Prefab inherit the properties of another Prefab.
- Prefab Mode. New workflow for editing Prefab assets in isolation. You’ll no longer need to drag a Prefab to an open Scene to edit it.
Localization of Editor UI (Japanese)
Localization of the Editor UI. (No runtime or building localized assets)
New Nintendo 3DS
OpenGL ES 2.0 support on Mac for emulation
Particle System External Forces Upgrade
Introduces a new ParticleSystemForceField Component, which can be assigned to the External Forces Module of Particle Systems.
This new Component offers a variety of controls, for gravity, drag, vortex motion, etc, when particles are inside its volume.
Particle System Ring Buffer Mode
A new Particle System mode where particles don't die when their lifetimes elapse. Instead, they remain until the Max Particles property is exceeded, at which point the oldest particles are replaced when new ones spawn.
Useful for footprints, bullet holes, etc, and other persistent objects, where the user wants them to stay as long as possible, whilst maintaining a maximum budget.
PBR Mobile Optimizations
Standard shader needs optimizations for low-end mobile/PC platforms. Some of these need to be GPU specific (for very popular GPU families)
- Optimizations for Apple/PowerVR GPUs
- Approximate/simplify for low-end GPUs like Mali-400
- Automatic switching between "do math in shader" vs "texture lookup table" depending on GPU
- Procedural Skybox shader optimizations
Upgrade NVIDIA PhysX from 3.3 to 3.4
Profiler: Profiling API improvements
Low-overhead C# Samplers. Ability to collect high-level performance data in non-development players.
Save Play Mode Changes
Make it possible to selectively persist changes made during Play Mode so they are not lost.
Snapshot tracks for Timeline
Stereo (Multi) Layer Support
Adds support for rendering textures directly to an HMD compositor, bypassing the application rendering.
UIElements for Editor Extensions
A new retained-mode GUI framework to rapidly develop performant and reusable Editor Extensions.
Video: Network Streaming
Windows Player Native Crash Reporting
ResearchVote for features or add new ideas
Investigations & design work
2D Physics - Animation
- New Animatable 2D Collider that tracks SpriteRender mesh.
- Explicit Kinematic Rigidbody2D Hierarchy control.
2D Physics - Colliders
- EdgeCollider2D 'adjacent edge' support allowing chaining of EdgeCollider2D together with virtual edges.
- EdgeCollider2D to EdgeCollider2D collision support
2D Physics - Effectors
- New asset-based effector behaviour system allowing blending of multiple behaviours.
- SurfaceEffector2D "speed-up only" support disabling slowing down if surface speed is too high.
2D Physics - Fluids
- LiquidFun Integration
2D Physics - Joints
- HingeJoint2D motor "free spin" support
- Joint2D anchor local scaling support
2D Physics - Materials
- Full integrated shared physics materials
2D Physics - Performance
- Asynchronous CompositeCollider2D outline and triangulation.
- Asynchronous PolygonCollider2D triangulation.
- Multithreaded simulation.
2D Physics - Rigidbodies
- Transform write-back to planes other than XY using swizzle option i.e. write back to XZ, YZ etc.
- Customised collision modes allowing alternatives to layer-based detection.
- Distance based wake-sleep for Rigidbody2D.
- Ability to retrieve all Rigidbody2D, Collider2D & Joint2D.
- Wake/Sleep Callbacks.
2D: Standard Shader for Various Image Effects
Extended 2D shaders that provides various image effects including 2D lighting and shadow.
Android: Support for Visual Studio project export
Allows Android target to export Visual Studio project, you can the both build apk files and debug Android application from within Visual Studio.
In Visual Studio 2015, Microsoft added support for Android. It has capabilities of both building Android applications (with gradle) and debugging Android applications (with gdb wrapper).
Apple Watch Improved Integration
Collaborate: Project Branching
Support more than one version of a project, for selective development
- Streamlined and unified structure for the increasing number of windows, tools, and visualisations in the editor.
Full physical light support
Physical units, CCT, IES, ...
Profiler: Improving GPU profiling on mobile
Traditional timer query based GPU profiling is not working on many mobile GPU architectures. Figure out better ways to achieve some GPU profiling. Develop new OpenGL ES extensions if needed.
Recording API for iOS and Android (experimental)
Recording API provides a high-performance thin-layer audio and screen and front-camera recording functionality to Unity engine on iOS and Android platforms.
Recording API allows developers to record their gameplay moments so that can be shared to different audiences.
Script Api Updater: Expose APIUpdater to Asset Store authors
Give Asset Store authors the ability change their APIs with less friction and retain compatibility
- Allows you to visually compare differences in your Unity project for prefabs and scenes.
- Built on top of the existing Unity smart merge (YAMLMerge).
Initial prototype of Visual Scripting, for internal demonstration and feedback gathering purposes.
WebGL multi-threading (Shared Array Buffers)