Guidelines for using Unity Trademarks
We, Unity Technologies and its affiliates (“Unity”), provide these guidelines (“Guidelines”) for our customers, authorized resellers, technology partners, and the media who wish to use or to refer to Unity’s trademarks, service marks, certification marks, names, symbols, indicators of source (of a product or service), designs, icons, designations, or logos (“Trademarks”). Unity’s Trademarks are extremely valuable to Unity, and these Guidelines set out the ground rules for their use. Unity has a number of Trademarks, both registered and unregistered, including the Trademarks listed here (“Unity Trademark List”). Use of Unity’s Trademarks is only allowed as provided in these Guidelines or under separate written permission by Unity, so please review these Guidelines carefully.
Authorized resellers, partners, etc.
Unity maintains certain programs for authorized resellers and technology partners, and other arrangements with other licensees under separate written agreements. These partners may use Unity Trademarks in accordance with the terms of those agreements and these Guidelines. If an agreement does not provide for any terms concerning Unity Trademarks, these Guidelines will apply; in the event of any conflict between terms in an agreement and these Guidelines, the terms of the agreement will apply.
Permitted uses: Wordmarks
You may use Unity Trademarks that are not Unity Logos (“Wordmarks” e.g., the word “Unity”) as follows:
- You may use Unity Wordmarks to describe or to refer to Unity products or services themselves. (For example, to describe that you use Unity software as your development tool or to promote Unity software as a product.)
- You may use Unity Wordmarks to describe or to refer to Unity products or services in connection with your products or services to explain that connection, provided that the explanation is true and accurate, Unity Wordmarks are not incorporated with the Trademarks of your products or services, and use otherwise complies with these Guidelines. (For example, to indicate that your product is “compatible with Unity software” or that your service is to provide “tutorials for Unity software”.)
- You may use Unity Wordmarks in all manner of published materials, digital and otherwise, provided that your use is consistent with all of the following and otherwise complies with these Guidelines:
- using the Unity Wordmarks is actually relevant to the subject matter of the materials;
- the Unity Wordmarks do not figure more prominently in the materials than your Trademarks, including Trademarks of your products and services; and
- you provide a trademark notice as described in these Guidelines.
Permitted uses: Logos/brand assets
Unity uses many different logos, brand assets, and icons (“Logos”) in association with its business. As you can appreciate, while we are glad that many people would like to use our Logos, we need to protect the integrity of our brand (for our own sake and for our customers). Therefore, we explain in this section which Logos you can use without separate permission and how you can get permission in some other cases.
If your situation is not covered, you may make a separate request for permission below. If you are a partner/reseller, please check if you have a separate written agreement with us concerning our Logos.
Ground rules for all logos
Unless you have a separate agreement with us to the contrary, permitted uses of our Logos must comply with these Guidelines, our Style guide, and the following general rules for Logos:
- Use official, unmodified Unity Logos. Each Unity Logo is an artistic asset. As such, you may only use those Unity Logos from the download source indicated to you by Unity or reproductions of master artwork provided by Unity, and you must follow any Unity Logo style guide made available by Unity. The Unity Logos may not be altered or modified in any way, including by changing the colors, changing the font, applying strokes, rearranging elements of the design, or stretching/distorting. Nor may Unity Logos be animated. Clear and consistent use is required.
- Be sure to allow Unity Logos to be seen clearly. Besides avoiding distortion, you must not reduce the size of Unity Logos so as to cause them to appear unclear, fuzzy, or otherwise illegible.
- Ensure that there is sufficient clear space between the Unity Logos and other graphical or textual elements. The Unity Logos must always be seen and interpreted as unique elements.
- Do not use Unity Logos to “beautify” or “spice up” your materials. Unity Logos are artistic assets and are not to be used merely for stylistic purposes.
Unity Logos and their uses that do not require separate permission
Made with Unity logo(download)
“Made with Unity” promotes the fact that your creation was made with our software platform. As such, this logo may be used in association with games, apps, or other digital media you created with the Unity software platform and that you distribute to end-users.
Unity & “cube” logo(download)
Our main corporate logo. Use of this logo without separate permission is limited to the following cases:
Expression of relationship
For the purposes of expressing an actual relationship you have with us (e.g., as a Unity vendor or supplier) in advertising or marketing materials – so long as the logo is only shown with logos (at least 1) of other companies for similar purposes.
Promotion of Unity products/services
For the purposes of promoting Unity products/services in marketing or advertising materials, so long as the space where it is used is exclusively for Unity products/services and no others (including your own).
You may use this Unity logo in informational materials such as a blog/vlog post about Unity products/services or their use, as long as (a) the materials themselves are noncommercial and available to the public without charge; (b) you have no commercial objective in the distribution of the materials; (c) the materials do not look like official Unity materials or like Unity has endorsed the materials; and (d) you do not associate the logo with anything other than Unity products/services. The sole exception for noncommercial use is the use of advertising in informational videos distributed via video-sharing websites (e.g., YouTube) – this is permitted as long as you observe all other requirements of these Guidelines.
As in other cases, it is especially important that you do not use the Unity logo in any way to promote you, your business/products/services, or anyone else or their business/products/services. You also cannot misrepresent yourself, such as claiming that you have Unity Certification if you do not.
Partner Badge/Verification Badge
“Partner Badge” means any of the following badges:
“Verification Badge” means only the following badge:
If you have a separate written agreement with Unity for use of any “Partner Badge” or “Verification Badge,” you will be provided with instructions on how to download the logos. For any Partner Badge or Verification Badge, you must adhere to the following specific rules in addition to the general rules on permitted logo use in these Guidelines.
Specific rules for Partner Badges
A Partner Badge may only be used to illustrate the fact of the actual relationship between the partner and Unity as evidenced by the relevant agreement between the partner and Unity, and only so long as the agreement and recognition by Unity is in effect.
Although the Partner Badge is used to illustrate this relationship and recognition, it cannot be used to show or to imply some affiliation with Unity or to suggest that Unity sponsors you or in any way endorses your products; this also means, for example, that you cannot place the Partner Badge on any “packaging” (digital or otherwise) of your products or otherwise use the Partner Badge in association with your products in marketing materials.
For example, if you are a Verified Solutions Partner, you may use that Partner Badge on your website and marketing materials, but not in association with specific products; being a Verified Solutions Partner, however, you may use the Verification Badge in association with the product for which you received the Verification Badge. For greater certainty, a Verified Solutions Partner may use that Partner Badge only so long as such Partner has a right to use a Verification Badge.
The Partner Badge also must never be shown in a way where it is larger and/or more prominent than any of your own branding, and it must never be in a “lockup” with your own branding.
Please also see and adhere to the Badges section of our Logo Guidelines.
Specific rules for Verification Badges
The Verification Badge may only be used to illustrate the fact that your product met, and continues to meet, Unity's requirements for the Verification Badge.
Importantly, the Verification Badge concerns the product and not the business in general of the person or company that has received authorization to use the Verification Badge. That means the Verification Badge must be used only in association with the verified product, and only so long as it remains verified in accordance with Unity’s requirements.
Please also see and adhere to the Badges section of our Logo Guidelines.
Our Unity Certification offerings, including for individuals seeking certification, and Unity Training or Certification partners, also permit the use of certain Unity Logos and badges. Please consult our Unity Certification portal for details on these programs.
Always use Unity Trademarks properly
A trademark’s purpose is to act as an indication of source (i.e., the source of goods or services). This is why trademarks are valuable – they create goodwill for the provider of the goods or services and help consumers understand where goods or services are coming from. Therefore, ensure that you use Unity Trademarks properly as explained below:
Only use Unity Trademarks as adjectives. Trademarks are adjectives: they should describe and modify something, and should not be used as nouns or verbs. For example:
Right Wrong Get Unity software! Get Unity!
Use Unity Trademarks to describe Unity products or services without suggesting any affiliation with or endorsement by Unity. For example:
Right Wrong XYZ Tutorials for Unity software Unity Tutorials
Ensure that there is sufficient clear space between the Unity Trademarks and other graphical or textual elements for them to be interpreted as unique elements. For example:
Right Wrong XYZ’s Education Videos for Unity software XYZ-Unity Education Videos
Only use Unity Trademarks unaltered, including without any abbreviation or using the possessive form. For example:
Right Wrong XYZ leverages the power of the Unity ML-Agents toolkit XYZ leverages ML tech’s power
Provide the correct trademark notice. Published materials of any kind, including digital materials such as web pages or digital ads that feature Unity Trademarks, must carry a trademark notice. This notice may appear in the credits, in a footer, or other similar location. The form of the notice should be as follows:
- "[This website/these materials/(product/service or company name)] [is/are] not sponsored by or affiliated with Unity Technologies or its affiliates. [Unity Trademark(s)] [is a/are] trademark[s] or registered trademark[s] of Unity Technologies or its affiliates in the U.S. and elsewhere."
- For example, in materials referring to “Unity” (and not displaying a Unity Logo):
- “These materials are not sponsored by or affiliated with Unity Technologies or its affiliates. “Unity” is a trademark or registered trademark of Unity Technologies or its affiliates in the U.S. and elsewhere.”
Things you can’t do
As mentioned, our Trademarks are some of our most important assets, therefore:
- Do not use any Unity Logos except as permitted by these Guidelines or under a separate agreement in writing with Unity.
- Do not use Unity Trademarks (or any confusingly similar Trademarks) for your business, your products, or your services, nor as any social media name or handle (e.g., hashtag) or as any part of any domain name.
- Do not use Unity Trademarks (or any confusingly similar Trademarks) in a way that may suggest an affiliation with, or endorsement by, Unity. Do not use Unity Trademarks in a way that may confuse our Trademarks with anyone else’s.
- Do not use Unity Trademarks to discredit or disparage Unity or its products or services, including any use that may tarnish Unity’s reputation or damage the goodwill associated with Unity Trademarks.
- Do not use Unity Trademarks in a way that is misleading or dishonest, including any advertising for any Unity products or services.
- Do not use Unity Trademarks in association with any information or material that Unity may find objectionable, including with anything considered by Unity to do any of the following:
- to infringe, misappropriate, or violate a third party’s patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, moral rights, or other intellectual property rights, or rights of publicity or privacy; to violate, or encourage any conduct that would violate, any applicable law or regulation or would give rise to liability of any kind;
- to be defamatory, obscene, pornographic, vulgar, or offensive; to promote discrimination, bigotry, racism, hatred, harassment, or harm against any individual or group;
- to promote violence or actions that are threatening to any other person; or
- to promote illegal or harmful activities or substances.
- Do not use Unity Trademarks as keywords, search terms, metadata, or other identifiers on any online ad service.
Important legal bits (Don’t skip!)
In using any Unity Trademarks, you acknowledge and agree that any goodwill derived from that use inures to the exclusive benefit of Unity. Except for the limited right to use Unity Trademarks as expressly permitted by these Guidelines, no other right of any kind is granted to you, either directly or indirectly.
You also agree that you are aware of Unity’s business and of the high standards of quality inherent in Unity products and services, as well as the style, reputation, and image associated with those products and services. You further acknowledge and agree that any use of our Trademarks will conform strictly to the quality, style, reputation, and image standards of Unity (“Unity Standards”).
We reserve the absolute right to refuse to grant permission and/or to revoke or to terminate any permission given under these Guidelines at any time, including for usage or usage in association with content that is inconsistent with Unity Standards.
We further reserve the right to change these Guidelines at any time by posting the revised Guidelines here. Any previously permitted uses no longer in compliance in light of any revisions need to be altered so as to be consistent with the revised Guidelines.
PERMITTED USES OF ANY TRADEMARKS UNDER THESE GUIDELINES IS PROVIDED SOLELY ON AN “AS IS” BASIS. UNITY DISCLAIMS ALL LIABILITIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES) ARISING OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH OUR TRADEMARKS OR THESE GUIDELINES, AND ALL WARRANTIES AND REPRESENTATIONS (EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, ORAL OR WRITTEN), WHETHER ALLEGED TO ARISE BY OPERATION OF LAW, BY REASON OF CUSTOM OR USAGE IN THE TRADE, BY COURSE OF DEALING, OR OTHERWISE, INCLUDING ANY AND ALL WARRANTIES OF NONINFRINGEMENT OR VALIDITY. NO ADVICE OR INFORMATION, WHETHER ORAL OR WRITTEN, OBTAINED FROM UNITY OR ELSEWHERE WILL CREATE ANY WARRANTY OR CONDITION NOT EXPRESSLY STATED IN THESE GUIDELINES.
Reporting Trademark Abuse
In the event that you come across any Trademarks that appear confusingly similar to Unity Trademarks, or if any use of Unity Trademarks contrary to these Guidelines come to your attention, we ask that you kindly write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions/separate logo permission requests