Microsoft HoloLens Developer Contest
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES
These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft HoloLens Developer Contest (“Contest”) will operate. In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation (“Microsoft”), the sponsor of this Contest and Unity Technologies ApS on behalf of itself and its Affiliates (together “Unity”). “Affiliates” shall mean an entity that directly or indirectly controls, is controlled by or is under common control with Unity Technologies ApS. “You” refers to an eligible Contest entrant. By entering you agree to comply with these Official Rules.
The contest has been established to recognize entertaining and creative experiences and ideas which if accepted will be built on the Unity Platform for HoloLens by you, the developer.
START AND END DATES
This Contest starts at 7:30 a.m. PDT on May 10, 2017, and ends at 11:59 p.m. PST on November 30, 2017 and will consist of the following rounds:
Entry Submission Period for Phase 1: 7:30 a.m. PDT, May 10, 2017 – 11:59 p.m. PDT June 10, 2017
Judging of Phase 1 will take place between: 9:00 a.m. PDT on June 11, 2017 – 5:00 p.m. PDT on June 16, 2017
To qualify, all Phase 1 entries must be fully submitted according to the instructions below no later than 5:00 p.m. of June 10, 2017
Entry Submission Period for Phase 2 (Only open to Finalists selected from Phase 1): submit no later than 12:00 p.m. PDT, October 30, 2017.
Judging of Phase 2 will take place between: 9:00 a.m. PDT on October 31, 2017 – 5:00 p.m. PST on November 9, 2017
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at time of Entry:
1. You are 18 years of age or older and reside in a country that supports Universal Windows Apps and
2. You are NOT a resident of any of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.
· U.S. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore, residents of these countries/regions are not eligible to participate.
· You are NOT an employee of Unity, Microsoft, or a Microsoft subsidiary; and
· You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
· You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Unity employee, Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
This Contest is void where prohibited by law.
HOW TO ENTER
STEP 1: To enter the contest, visit https://unity3d.com/partners/microsoft/hololens-contest and submit your proposal to https://unity3d.com/partners/microsoft/hololens-contest/step-1. To qualify, your proposal must detail a HoloLens experience you plan to build/develop on the Unity Platform and said proposal may include art and/or video.
Submissions must be sent in by 11:59 p.m. PDT on Jun 10, 2017.
STEP 2: Microsoft and Unity will judge all qualifying submissions in accordance to the criteria outlined herein between 9:00 a.m. PDT on June 11 and 5:00 p.m. PDT on June 16, 2017.
Thereafter, 10 (ten) Finalists will be selected.
STEP 3: The finalists will then need to create their experience using Unity 5.5 or later (available at https://unity3d.com/download) and Visual Studio 2015 (available at https://dev.windows.com/en-us/downloads) and submit the experience to Step 2 at https://unity3d.com/partners/microsoft/hololens-contest/step-2 by no later than 12:00 p.m. PDT on October 30, 2017.
STEP 4: Microsoft and Unity will judge all qualifying submissions in accordance to the criteria outlined herein between 9:00 a.m. PDT on October 31, 2017 and 5 p.m. PST on November 9, 2017.
Thereafter, a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place Winner will be selected, along with 5 Honorable Mentions.
STEP 5: Microsoft and Unity shall announce the Winners and Honorable Mentions of this Contest no later than 11:59 p.m. PST on November 30, 2017.
There is no limit to the number of ideas submitted per developer, however each submission must be substantially unique and different.
We are not responsible for Entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for Entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason. We will automatically disqualify any late, incomplete, excess or ineligible Entries.
By submitting an Entry, you agree that your Entry conforms to these Official Rules and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may remove your Entry and disqualify you from the Contest if it believes that your Entry fails to conform to the Official Rules.
To be eligible for entry, the idea must meet the following content / technical requirements:
· The experience complies with the app developer agreement and the app certification requirements for the applicable Windows Store; and
· The experience complies with the Unity Terms of Service; and
· The experience is developed on the Universal Windows Platform utilizing Unity 5.2 or later and Visual Studio 2015, and it targets the “HoloLens” device family in Windows Store; and
· The experience is your own original work; and
· You have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit the experience; and
· The experience may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials.
The experience may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that:
· is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group;
· is profane or pornographic;
· promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda;
· is obscene or offensive;
· defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies; communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law;
The following types of experiences are NOT eligible:
· Experiences published by Microsoft Corporation or a subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation;
· Experiences published by Unity; or
· Experiences published by a mobile operator or device manufacturer.
We reserve the right to reject any entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
HOW WILL MY ENTRY BE POTENTIALLY USED?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your Entry. However, by submitting your Entry, you:
· are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your Entry and all its content in connection with this Contest or the promotion of Microsoft and/or Unity goods and services; and (ii) feature your Entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest or Microsoft and/or Unity goods and services (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Contest Entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed);
· agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
· understand and acknowledge that Microsoft and Unity may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your Entry;
· understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your Entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your Entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law; and
· understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your Entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules.
· You must agree to publish the experience on the Microsoft Windows Store.
While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your Entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winner.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your Entry, please do not enter this Contest.
WINNER DETERMINATION AND PRIZES
Phase 1: The 10 finalist in Phase 1 of this contest will be selected by a panel of our judges per the following criteria and awarded based upon highest score:
· Originality & Feasibility- up to 50%
· Target Audience Scope- up to 20%
· Hololens Features Leveraged- up to 30%
If selected as a potential finalist, participants shall be required to develop the idea submitted in Phase 1 and agree to do so in writing. Participants who so agree, shall be sent Hololens Dev Edition to aid in the development of their idea. Participants who do not agree, may be replaced with the next highest scoring entry at our sole discretion.
Phase 2: The Winners for experiences submitted in Phase 2 of this contest will be selected by our judges per the following criteria and awarded based upon highest score:
· Technical Excellence: 40%
· Originality: 30%
· Experience (how it solves real world problems): 30%
The decisions of the judges are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. In the event of a tie in Phase 1, the Entrant whose Submission received the higher score in the Originality & Feasibility will be deemed the potential finalist. In the event of a tie in Phase 2, the Entrant whose Submission received the higher score in the Technical Excellence category will be deemed the potential winner. If we do not receive a sufficient number of Entries meeting minimum quality standards, we may at our discretion select fewer than the stated number of finalists or winners.
· First Place Prize: US$100,000 + one 12 Month Subscription to Unity Pro (estimated value US$1500) + keep the Hololens Dev Edition (estimated value US$5,000). Total First Place Prize Package Value: US$106,500.
· Second Place Prize: US$30,000 + one 12 Month Subscription to Unity Pro (estimated value US$1500) + keep the Hololens Dev Edition (estimated value US$5,000). Total Second Place Prize Package Value: US$36,500.
· Third Place Prize: US$20,000 + one 12 Month Subscription to Unity Pro (estimated value US$1500) + keep the Hololens Dev Edition (estimated value US$5,000). Total Third Place Prize Value: US$26,500.
· Five (5) Honorable Mention Prizes: 12 Month Subscription to Unity Pro each (estimated value US$1500 each) + keep the Hololens Dev Edition (estimated value US$5,000). Total Honorable Mention Prize Package Value: US$6,500 each.
· Remaining Finalist, subject to submission of an eligible entry in Phase 2: Keep the Hololens Dev Edition (estimated value US$5,000).
· Total Potential Contest Prize Package Value: US$212,000
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending an email to the email address listed within your submission. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award to a runner-up. In the event of a dispute, the authorized account holder of the Windows Developer account used to register will be deemed to be the entrant and potential winner. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned the Windows Developer account
If you are a potential finalist or winner, we may require you (your parent/legal guardian if you are a minor in your place of residence) to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you are a potential finalist or winner and you are 18 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest:
· You may not exchange your prize for any other merchandise or services unless mutually agreed upon by Sponsor. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable we reserve the right to substitute an alternate item of equal or greater value; and
· You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up; and
· If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
· If you are otherwise eligible for this Contest, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and
· Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and / or terms and conditions.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING?
By entering this Contest, you agree to abide by these Official Rules; and to release and hold harmless Microsoft and Unity and their respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, or any prize won; and that Microsoft’s and Unity’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and that, by accepting a prize, Microsoft and Unity may use your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CONTEST IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible Entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contests, so please play fairly.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
A winners list will be posted online at https://unity3d.com/partners/microsoft/hololens-contest The winner list will be posted after winner confirmation is complete.
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CONTEST?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052