Microsoft Windows Developer Contest for Unity Games
Common terms used in these rules
These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft Windows Developer Challenge for Unity (“Contest”) will operate. In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of this Contest. “You” refers to an eligible Contest entrant. By entering you agree to comply with these Official Rules.
The contest has been established to recognize entertaining and creative games built on the Unity Platform that can be downloaded from Windows Store for use on the Windows 10 desktop.
Start and end dates
This Contest starts at 9:00 a.m. PT on November 1st, 2016, and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on April 30, 2017 and will consist of the following rounds:
Entry Submission Period: November 1, 2016 – February 28, 2017
Public Performance Period: March 1, 2017 – April 30, 2017
To qualify for the public performance period, all entries must be fully submitted according to the instructions below no later than February 28, 2017.
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at time of Entry:
- You are 18 years of age or older and reside in a country that supports Universal Windows Apps and you have previously created a game that has a minimum of 10,000 downloads in the Steam Store, Google Play Store, or Apple’s App Store; and
- You are NOT a resident of any of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.
- U.S. export regulations prohibit the export of goods and services to Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan and Syria. Therefore, residents of these countries / regions are not eligible to participate.
- You are NOT an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary; and
- You are NOT involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest; and
- You are NOT an immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
This Contest is void where prohibited by law.
How to enter
STEP 1: Before you can enter, you must be accepted by Microsoft participate in this contest.
To receive acceptance, visit https://unity3d.com/partners/microsoft/challenge and submit a screenshot of your games performance in any app store, showing the number of downloads you have accumulated and any consumer ratings. To qualify, your game must be available in the Steam, Google Play (Android), or Apple App Store (iOS) and use the Unity engine. Your app must have a minimum of 10,000 downloads in a single store. Once this submission has been reviewed by Microsoft you will be notified within 5-7 business days of your acceptance to enter the contest.
Once you have been formally accepted to participate, complete the steps below to submit your entry:
STEP 2: Create or port a native Universal Windows Platform (UWP) game using Unity 5.2 or later (https://unity3d.com/download) and Visual Studio 2015 (https://dev.windows.com/en-us/downloads) that is targeting Windows 10 desktop. Your game must be the same game you submitted to receive acceptance into the Contest. Small tweaks are acceptable as long as it does not materially change the game concept or deviate substantially from what was originally submitted.
Next, submit your game to Windows Store to be published. Windows Store has specific instructions that can be found at: https://dev.windows.com. Please allow sufficient time for your game to be reviewed and certified through Windows Store process, before it is published and live on Windows Store. The time required for the process will vary and could be lengthy. To be eligible, your game must be submitted to Windows Store on or after November 1st, 2016 and must be live on Windows Store no later than Feb 28th, 2017.
Finally, go to https://unity3d.com/partners/microsoft/challenge and submit an official entry form, which includes a link to your game, no later than Feb 28th, 2017.
There is no limit to the number of games submitted per Windows Developer account, however each submission must be substantially unique and different.
We are not responsible for Entries that we do not receive for any reason, or for Entries that we receive but are not decipherable for any reason. We will automatically disqualify any late, incomplete, excess or ineligible Entries.
By submitting an Entry, you agree that your Entry conforms to these Official Rules and that Sponsor, in its sole discretion, may remove your Entry and disqualify you from the Contest if it believes that your Entry fails to conform to the Official Rules.
To be eligible for entry, a game must meet the following content / technical requirements:
- The game complies with the app developer agreement and the app certification requirements for the applicable Windows Store; and
- The game is developed on the Universal Windows Platform utilizing Unity 5.2 or later and Visual Studio 2015, and it targets the “Desktop” device family in Windows Store; and
- The game is your own original work; and
- You have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit the game; and
- The game must not require Windows Store user ratings, or reduce functionality for users who do not give your game a rating; and
- The game may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials.
The game may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that:
- is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group;
- is profane or pornographic;
- promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda;
- is obscene or offensive;
- defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies; communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law;
The following types of games are NOT eligible:
- Games published by Microsoft Corporation or a subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation;
- Games published by a mobile operator or device manufacturer.
We reserve the right to reject any game, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
How will my entry be potentially used?
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your Entry. However, by submitting your Entry, you:
- are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your Entry and all its content in connection with this Contest or the promotion of Microsoft goods and services; and (ii) feature your Entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest or Microsoft goods and services (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Contest Entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed);
- agree to sign any necessary documentation that may be required for us and our designees to make use of the rights you granted above;
- understand and acknowledge that the Sponsor(s) may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your Entry;
- understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your Entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your Entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law; and
- understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your Entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules.
While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your Entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winner.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your Entry, please do not enter this Contest.
Winner determination and prizes
The first twenty-five (25) entries who receive acceptance and submit their entry as described in step 2 above will receive one (1) of the early entry prizes below.
Additionally, all entries in Step 2 will go through a public performance period of March 1st to April 30th, 2017 which will be used to rank the entries in the categories of total number of downloads, amount of revenue generated, and user ratings. We will only judge entries based on the metrics received between this time period. After April 30th, all entries will be judged based on the criteria below. On or around May 15th, 2017, thirteen potential (based on confirmation of eligibility) prize winners will be determined based on the following judging criteria:
- Success of Submission (25%): Success will be determined through analysis of the performance of the game in Windows Store which will consist of a combination of the following criteria, each to be weighted equally; total number of downloads, amount of revenue generated, and user ratings of the apps being submitted during the public performance period.
- Creativity and Originality (75%): Creativity and Originality will be determined though the assessment of how unique or differentiated the games is compared to games currently in Windows Store.
The decisions of the judges are final and binding in all matters related to the Contest. In the event of a tie at any level, the Entrant whose Submission received the higher score in the "Creativity and Originality" category will be deemed the potential winner. If we do not receive a sufficient number of Entries meeting minimum quality standards, we may at our discretion select fewer than the stated number of winners.
It is prohibited for any person to obtain Windows Store downloads by any fraudulent or inappropriate means, including offering prizes or other inducements in exchange for Windows Store downloads, automated programs or fraudulent i.d’s. Microsoft reserves the right to will void any questionable downloads for the purposes of determining a winner in this Contest.
(1) First Grand Prize: US$100,000 in advertising dollars for app install ads at an advertising agency to be determined by Microsoft.
(1) Second Grand Prize: US$50,000 in advertising dollars for app install ads at an advertising agency to be determined by Microsoft.
(1) Third Grand Prize: US$25,000 in advertising dollars for app install ads at an advertising agency to be determined by Microsoft.
Ten (10) Honorable Mention Prizes: One (1) Unity Pro License for one year.
Twenty-Five (25) Early Entry Prizes: US$5,000 or equivalent in local currency.
Limit one Grand and one Early Entry prize per person.
If you are a potential winner, we will notify you by sending an email to the email address listed within your Windows Developer account within seven (7) days following completion of judging. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award to a runner-up. In the event of a dispute, the authorized account holder of the Windows Developer account used to register will be deemed to be the entrant and potential winner. The "authorized account holder" is the natural person assigned the Windows Developer account. For winners of the three advertising dollars for app install ad prizes, there will be a requirement for 1) having an attribution solution integrated to the app (to allow install ads to be run) and 2) work with the advertising agency to create the ad units. Once the ad unit and attribution activities are complete, Microsoft will put an insertion order for amount of the prize with a leading install ad network. Campaigns will run for six (6) months or until the prize money is exhausted, whichever occurs first.
- If you are a potential winner, we may require you (your parent/legal guardian if you are a minor in your place of residence) to sign an Affidavit of Eligibility, Liability/Publicity Release and a W-9 tax form or W-8 BEN tax form within 10 days of notification. If you are a potential winner and you are 18 or older, but are considered a minor in your place of legal residence, we may require your parent or legal guardian to sign all required forms on your behalf. If you do not complete the required forms as instructed and/or return the required forms within the time period listed on the winner notification message, we may disqualify you and select a runner-up.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest:
- You may not exchange your prize for any other merchandise or services unless mutually agreed upon by Sponsor. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable we reserve the right to substitute an alternate item of equal or greater value; and
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- If you are otherwise eligible for this Contest, but are considered a minor in your place of residence, we may award the prize to your parent/legal guardian on your behalf; and
- Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and / or terms and conditions.
What other conditions am I agreeing to by entering?
By entering this Contest, you agree to abide by these Official Rules; and to release and hold harmless Microsoft and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, or any prize won; and that Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and that, by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
What laws govern the way this contest is executed and administrated?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
What if something unexpected happens and the contest can't run as planned?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible Entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contests, so please play fairly.
How can I find out who won?
A winners list will be posted online at https://unity3d.com/partners/microsoft/challenge. The winner list will be posted after winner confirmation is complete.
Who is sponsoring this contest?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052