Get insight into our future plans, and when you can expect new features and functionality in Unity to be released.
Please note that our primary goal is to provide you with stable and reliable releases. As such, any indications of target release dates and features listed are subject to change.RSS feed
- В работе
- Под вопросом
Current Release: 5.5.xDownload current release
Released Nov 30, 2016
Animation Window Improvements
- Performance improvements: Speed up rendering in the animation window.
- Auto tangent: Clamped-Auto tangent to avoid curve overshoots.
- Box tool: Multi-usage tool to move and scale keyframe selection.
Easy setup of local cache server
- Cache server can now be setup by just enabling it in the editor settings.
- Cache server can vastly improve your import and platform switching times. See http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/CacheServer.html for how to already use it today.
Exposed Meshes and ComputeBuffers to native code plugins
Full Binary Shader Serialization
- faster load times - no parsing at runtime
- smaller memory footprint
HDR texture improvements
- BC6H compressed and FP16 uncompressed texture import formats on PC/consoles
- Reflection probes use BC6H/FP16 too on PC/consoles now
Improve shadows precision for large worlds
Use reverse-float depth buffer for improved depth buffer precision on modern GPUs. Particularly improves directional light shadowing for large view distances.
Line/Trail Renderer Upgrade
- Use a curve to define the widths
- Use a gradient to define the colors
- Fully exposed to script
- Sharp corners handled more gracefully
- Add extra vertices to create rounded corners and ends
Low-level functionality improvements
- Per-render target blend modes in shaders
- Manual render texture mipmap generation
- Increased amount of shader keywords (from 128 to 256)
- DX9 half-pixel rasterization issues are gone; now completely matches DX11/GL
OpenGL2 legacy support removal on MacOSX and Linux
PBR viewer/validation tool (Preview)
- LookDev editor window for viewing & validating meshes and materials in various HDRI lighting environments.
Texture Importer Improvements
- Decoupled texture format, compression and shape (2D/Cube)
- Removal of the "Advanced" texture type in favor of an "Advanced" options foldout for all texture types
- Reworked various parameters presentation in the GUI (sRGB, Alpha Usage...)
- BC4/BC5 compressed format support
Multi scene support for occlusion culling
Particle System Upgrade
- Send customisable vertex data to your shaders
- Also allows for Normal Mapping and Standard Shader support
- Rotate particles based on initial direction of travel
- Align particles to the eye position, instead of simply facing the camera plane
- Fully expose main particle settings to script
- Add lights to your particles with the new Lights Module
- Add noise to particle movement with the new Noise Module
- Add ribbonized trails to your particles with the new Trails Module
- New Color Gradient options
- Unlimited Sub-Emitters of each type
- Use Time-based and Distance-based emission at the same time
- Simulate particles relative to any Transform component, not just World or Local
- Improved curve editor with animation window improvements and wrap mode support
- New CapsuleCollider2D is a collider primitive that can be elongated in either the vertical or horizontal directions.
- New BodyType property allows the explicit selection of the body type of Static, Kinematic or Dynamic showing only the appropriate properties for each body type in the inspector.
- New UseFullKinematicCollisions property allows Kinematic body types to collide with other Kinematic and Static bodies complete with collision/trigger callbacks.
- New Simulated property allows the Rigidbody2D and any attached colliders and joints to be temporarily ignored by the simulated to be changed in the inspector.
- New Material property allows a physics material to be assigned to the Rigidbody2D overriding the global physics material but applying to all attached colliders that do not have their own physics material specified.
Update PhysX to 3.3.3
- Update to the latest patch release PhysX 3.3.3
- Better performance on Android expected
Use the upcoming WebGL 2.0 API to take rendering in the browser up a level (and on par with OpenGL ES 3.0).
WebGL Brotli compression support
- Optional Brotli compression for WebGL. Improves build size over default GZIP.
- Hint: Needs extra setup on your server, only works with HTTPS, supported natively by Firefox and Chrome (JS decompression fallback provided by us).
WebGL: Use IL2CPP for final linking
- Caches and reuses linked artifacts. Reduces build time when there are only asset and no code changes.
Scripting: C# Compiler Upgrade
Upgrade Mono C# compiler against our current .Net 2.0 and 2.0 Subset profiles. Note that this is an upgrade of the C# compiler only, not the full Mono runtime
Unity splash screen improvements
- Customise unity splash screen with logo, background and animation.
- Preview splash screen in editor.
- Uniform across all platforms
Beta: 5.6Download Beta
Stabilization in progress. Target : Mar 2017
Sprite Editor Update
Sprite Mesh Tessellation Quality Control
Fine grained control on the quality of the sprite mesh. Tune accuracy and various other tessellation parameters.
Update: Re-assessing our work shows that we need to go back to the drawing board.
Compute Shaders for Metal
GPU Instancing Improvements
- Procedural mode: supply instance data from a custom data source
- DrawMeshInstancedIndirect: supply draw arguments from a GPU resource
IL2CPP: Windows Runtime projections
Making IL2CPP understand Windows Runtime projections will enable C# scripts and plugins to consume Windows Runtime APIs directly on Windows Desktop, Windows Store and XBOX One platforms.
Mac Editor on Metal
NavMesh workflow and low level API
- High Level workflow based on new components:
- NavMesh Surface – describes a volume where the NavMesh will be built, and allows you to have multiple volumes, at any orientation.
- NavMesh Link – allows you to connect two NavMeshes with a wide link.
- NavMesh Modifier – allows fine grained control of area types per Game Object; replaces static flags.
- NavMesh Modifier Volume – allows to change the area type of the NavMesh which falls inside the volume.
Everything above is built on top of a simple low level API.
- Low level API:
- Allows you to pass in the geometry that will contribute to the NavMesh building.
- Method to quickly collect render or physics geometry for building NavMesh.
- NavMesh data can be built for different agent sizes.
- NavMesh data can be created, updated, added and removed at runtime.
- NavMesh data and can be instanced several times at different position/orientation.
- ...and more!
Particles System Improvements
- 2D collision optimization
- Multi-Edit support
- Custom Data Module, including HDR color support
- More flexible Custom Vertex Streams UI
- New Burst Emission UI, with support for repeating bursts
- Shape Module upgraded to support non-randomized behaviors (eg. looping and uniform distribution)
Physics: Collision Geometry Visualization
Physics2D: Collision Detection improvements
- New CompositeCollider2D allows other colliders to be merged together producing a single collider that can either be an outline or a decomposed concave polygon.
- New Contacts API allows any contacts to be retrieved per Collider2D or Rigidbody2D. Also provides more information on contacts.
- New EdgeRadius property adds a radius around the edges for BoxCollider2D and EdgeCollider2D providing expandable edges with rounded corners.
Support for publishing Unity content to Facebook using WebGL or desktop apps with built-in SDK and one-click build publishing.
Platform: WebGL support for WebAssembly
Use the upcoming WebAssembly format to distribute our WebGL build output for smaller builds which can load faster and using less memory.
Standalone: Use SDL2 on Linux Player
Implementation of window management and input handling with SDL2 instead of raw X11 for desktop Linux. Should be transparent to users, but enables future Wayland and/or Mir support.
Introduce Sampler and Recorder classes which give access to built-in profiler labels in development builds. This will allow users to create in-game HUD and display important performance metrics.
Progressive Lightmap Baking (Preview)
Use PowerVR ray tracing to provide progressively updated lightmap bakes. This aims to reduce baking times and improve iteration on lighting. Blog
Provide a solution to how to combine baked lighting with realtime lighting including proper handling of baked and realtime shadows. We will provide several presets to cover a wide range of scenarios including fully realtime GI lighting, partially baked lighting, and fully baked lighting. Experimental Beta Forum
Video: New API
Deprecating MovieTexture and providing a new video playback engine API targeting hardware decoding on platforms
New network transport
The network transport implementation used by the NetworkTransport class has been rewritten to be more robust and performant.
iOS Native Crash Reporting
Collect, view consolidated crash reports for iOS builds Forums - Unity Performance Reporting
2D: Sorting Groups
Sorts a group of renderers (for instance, a character made up of a bunch of sprite renderers) as a whole without any interleaving of other renderers.
In-progress, timelines long or uncertain
Redesigned 2D character animation workflow with IK posing support
Asset Bundles API Improvements
Improving low level and high level APIs for increased accessibility and performance.
Editor: Localization of Editor UI
Localization of the Editor UI. (No runtime or building localized assets)
User definable IK chains
Retargeting for non humanoid.
Deeper, more prominent reporting of information about the player build process and outputs.
Deploy: Binary Reproducibility
Make build results consistent between builds as long as no assets are changed. This helps with various binary patching systems. There were several cases where assets were not consistenty ordered, or had uninitialized random data occasionally.
- Extend Game View resolutions by also emulating a given DPI.
- Particularly useful for getting accurate representations of UI layouts on target devices.
Gives the users ability to easily view all the draw calls for the IMGUI, with the option to open the source file in the right location, view all the data used to render the item.
Improve Component Dragging Usability
Drag component headers to reorder, move, copy them around. Suggestion on Feedback
Save Play Mode Changes
- Make it possible to selectively persist changes made during Play Mode so they are not lost.
Update build settings window
Global Illumination: Distributed LAN lighting builds
Polish the Hackweek X project on distributing lighting builds (precompute/baking) across machines on a LAN. The aim is to make a system that will automatically discover available machines and use them for time consuming lighting builds. No setup should be required. Video.
Linear space lighting support on mobile platforms
PBR Mobile Optimizations
Standard shader needs optimizations for low-end mobile/PC platforms. Some of these need to be GPU specific (for very popular GPU families)
- Optimizations for Apple/PowerVR GPUs
- Approximate/simplify for low-end GPUs like Mali-400
- Automatic switching between "do math in shader" vs "texture lookup table" depending on GPU
- Procedural Skybox shader optimizations
OpenGL ES 2.0 support on Mac for emulation
IL2CPP deployment improvements
This is an ongoing task that we are actively rolling out in updates to Unity; we're heavily investing in reduced memory consumption, reduced distribution size and reduced buildtimes.
iOS/tvOS: ReplayKit Live Broadcasting support
Scripting: Mono Runtime Upgrade
Upgrade Mono Runtime against our current .Net 2.0 and 2.0 Subset profiles. This includes many fixes and improvements, but does not include an upgrade to the .Net 4.6 profile.
Nested prefabs will introduce a new workflow for prefabs which allows you to do nesting and inheritance of prefabs as well as allowing you to control which part of the prefab is exposed to the level designers.
Standalone Simulation Server
Automatic convex decompositions
- Integrate V-HACD
- A single mesh can be automatically decomposed into a set of convex MeshColliders
- Helps with collision detection performance and accuracy
- Enables sophisticated meshes on dynamic bodies and triggers
- Better in-editor tools for authoring Cloth
- More of PhysX internals exposed (more options for collisions, self-collisions, etc)
- Better integration with Mecanim
Optional PhysX debug configuration
- Select debug configuration to get more internal information/warnings/errors/performance advice from the physics engine
Apple Watch Basic Compatibility
New Nintendo 3DS
Recording API for iOS and Android (experimental)
Recording API provides a high-performance thin-layer audio and screen and front-camera recording functionality to Unity engine on iOS and Android platforms.
Recording API allows developers to record their gameplay moments so that can be shared to different audiences.
Bring Unity VR content to the web using our WebGL export and the WebVR API
Profiling API improvements
Low-overhead C# Samplers. Ability to collect high-level performance data in non-development players.
Performance Reporting: Additional Platform Support
Collect, view consolidated crash reports for Android, macOS, Windows
Experimental PreviewsHelp us make Unity better
Usability and Functional Feedback (Targeted or Public)
Tiles the sprite's texture using the 9-slice technique when the size of the sprite increased beyond the size of the texture.
- Create an atlas asset within the editor
- Query the list of sprites in Atlas
- Runtime swap atlases and automatically rebind with loaded sprite renderers
Easily mask multiple sprite objects to create various game play visibility effects.
Update: Workflow concerns delaying feature
Procedural creation of 2d levels. Users could define control points that are then tessellated and textured with sprites. The control points can be used to define simple straight edges or curved edges for more organic looking levels.
Update: Addressing concerns with user experience after feedback. Update 2: Workflow concerns delaying further.
- New TileMapCollider2D produces colliders per-tile for the 2D Tilemap.
Generates poses in Playable graph. This will allow user to write custom IK, prodedural animation, live mocap, bones-based mixer etc.
Timeline (previously Director)
Cinematic sequencer tool. Allows the authoring and playback of sequences of animation and audio clips.
Editor: Redesigned asset and component icons
- The icons are getting a stylistic update, while being designed for greater consistency.
Image Effect updates
Create a better, more adaptable input system for Unity.
- Event-based, framerate-independent input delivery
- Custom device creation
- More consistency between platforms and input devices
- Better integration of variety of input types
- Better support for multiple control schemes
- Better separation between input and game logic
- Deeper API access
- More customizability
MonoDevelop and Unity REST Integration
Provide tighter integration between MonoDevelop and Unity by having them talk to each other through HTTP REST.
- File-less project/solution synchronization between MonoDevelop and Unity.
- For instant synchronization of file add/delete/move operations in the assets folder, both ways.
- Always build your scripts in Unity and providing build results in MonoDevelop. For consistent build behavior.
- Entering play mode and/or attaching the debugger when hitting the play button in MonoDevelop.
Networking: Server Library
Update: Delayed for improvements based on feedback
Collaborate: Advanced Project Control
- Selectively publish/ignore specific assets to a shared project.
- Rollback entire project to earlier version
- Get latest builds from developer.cloud.unity3d.com/collaborate
ResearchVote for features or add new ideas
Investigations & design work
Standard Shader for Various Image Effects
Extended 2D shaders that provides various image effects including 2D lighting and shadow.
- Streamlined and unified structure for the increasing number of windows, tools, and visualisations in the editor.
- Allows you to visually compare differences in your Unity project for prefabs and scenes.
- Built on top of the existing Unity smart merge (YAMLMerge).
Scriptable Rendering Pipelines
- Complete rendering pipelines constructed & driven from C# code
- Similar to CommandBuffers, but operate on whole sets of objects, with efficient implementations in native code
- Can imagine something like “deferred shading” just being a C# script that you can also modify to your needs (change G-buffer layout etc.)
Apple Watch Improved Integration
WebGL multi-threading (Shared Array Buffers)
Platform: WebGL SIMD (via SIMD.js)
Improving GPU profiling on mobile
Traditional timer query based GPU profiling is not working on many mobile GPU architectures. Figure out better ways to achieve some GPU profiling. Develop new OpenGL ES extensions if needed.
.NET Profile Upgrade
Upgrade .Net profile to 4.6 enabling access to the latest .Net functionality and APIs.
Script Api Updater: Expose APIUpdater to Asset Store authors
Give Asset Store authors the ability change their APIs with less friction and retain compatibility
Standalone: Support for alternative display managers Wayland and Mir on desktop Linux.
Garbage Collector Upgrade
Upgrade to a modern, generational, low latency Garbage Collector (GC). This will reduce stutters and time spikes spent in GC during collection.
Full physical light support
Collaborate: Project Branching
Support more than one version of a project, for selective development