Unity 2017: The world-leading creation engine for gaming
Unity 2017 introduces new features that help teams of artists and developers build experiences together. Powerful new tools, such as Timeline and Cinemachine, empower artists to create cinematic content and gameplay sequences without the need of an engineer. Creators can now spend more time doing, less time queueing.
Rich & Extensible editor
An all-in-one Editor that extends to match your production workflow
The Unity Editor features multiple tools that enable rapid editing and iteration in your development cycles, including Play mode for quick previews of your work in real-time.
- All-in-one editor: Available on Windows and Mac, it includes a range of artist-friendly tools for designing immersive experiences and game worlds, as well as a strong suite of developer tools for implementing game logic and high-performance gameplay.
- 2D & 3D: Unity supports both 2D and 3D development with features and functionality for your specific needs across genres.
- AI pathfinding tools: Unity includes a navigation system that allows you to create NPCs that can intelligently move around the game world. The system uses navigation meshes that are created automatically from your Scene geometry, or even dynamic obstacles, to alter the navigation of the characters at runtime.
- User interfaces: Our built-in UI system allows you to create user interfaces fast and intuitively.
- Physics engines: Take advantage of Box2D and NVIDIA PhysX support for highly realistic and high-performance gameplay.
- Custom tools: You can extend the Editor with whatever tools you need to match your team’s workflow. Create and add customized extensions or find what you need on our Asset Store, which features thousands of resources, tools and extensions to speed up your projects.
Art and Design tools
A workspace for creative people
The Unity Editor is a creative hub for artists, designers, developers, and other team members. It includes 2D and 3D scene design tools, storytelling and cinematics, lighting, audio system, Sprite management tools, particle effects and a powerful dopesheet animation system.
- Storytelling: The Timeline tool gives artists the power to create stunning cinematic content & gameplay sequences.
- Cinematic content: With Cinemachine’s suite of smart and dynamic cameras, you can control shots just like a movie director from within the Editor.
- Color grading and effects: Create the look you want with professional and fully featured Post Processing FX.
- Animation: Use Timeline, Anima2D, Particles, and tight integration with Maya and other 3rd party tools to animate directly within Unity.
- Level design and worldbuilding: Use in-editor creation tools to prototype, design 2D levels, and directly import scenes from Maya with high-fidelity.
- Lighting: Get instant feedback with the Progressive Lightmapper, polish and hone your scene with Post Processing, and optimise your scene with Mixed Lighting Modes for the best result per target platform.
Create an evocative atmosphere that enthralls players
Bring your game alive in the day with sun shafts or take your players down midnight streets glowing with neon signs or into shadowy tunnels.
- Real-time rendering engine: Produce amazing visual fidelity with Real-Time Global Illumination and Physically Based Rendering.
- Native Graphics APIs: Unity supports multiplatforms, but still stays close to the low level graphics API of each platform, allowing you to take advantage of the latest GPU and hardware improvements, like Vulkan, iOS Metal, DirectX12, nVidia VRWorks or AMD LiquidVR.
Optimize your interactive creations with a top performing engine that keeps on improving.
- Advanced profiling tools offer insights, such as determining if your game is CPU or GPU-bound, and how to optimize rendering and gameplay performance for a smooth user experience
- Native C++ performance across platforms with Unity-developed back-end IL2CPP scripting, which is continuously improved
- Scripting runtime Mono/.NET 4,6/C#6 (experimental in 2017.1)
Coming later in 2017/2018
- Simple and safe multithreaded job system for the most compute-intensive scenarios (experimental version coming soon)
Build once, deploy anywhere to reach the largest possible audience
- 25+ platforms across mobile, desktop, console, TV, VR, AR and the Web.
- More platform support than any other creation engine: With Unity, you can reach the widest audience and feel confident that your IP is future-proof, no matter how the industry evolves or where your imagination takes you.
Virtual and Augmented Reality
Powering over two-thirds of VR and AR experiences
Unity is the preferred development tool for the majority of XR creators. Used by everyone from AAA game studios like Ubisoft, top creative agencies like Weiden+Kennedy, space pioneers at NASA, top Hollywood directors like Neill Blomkamp and Eric Darnell, and even our friends at Google for their Tiltbrush and Blocks experiences, Unity is your best and most valuable solution for jumping into the latest and greatest immersive technologies.
Unity Asset Store
Jump-start your development and get to the finish line faster
Whatever your problem or need, the Asset Store is home to the solution.
- Off-the-shelf content to enhance your Unity project and make development faster and easier
- Massive catalog of paid and free content
- Whatever you need: Art, models, scripts, productivity tools, and more
Multiplayer provides the easiest way to create real-time, networked games for Unity.
- Quick set up: Fast to implement and highly customizable
- Unity-provided servers: Makes sure your players can find and play with each other
Work faster together
Unity Teams enables creative teams to work more efficiently together with features that enable collaboration and simplify workflows.
- Save, share, and sync your projects and use simple version control and cloud storage, all seamlessly integrated with Unity
- Cloud Build: Automatically create and share builds with anyone.
Realize your ultimate idea
Unity Connect is a professional network and talent marketplace dedicated to Unity creators.
- Showcase your work with a free portfolio
- Get discovered by talent seekers
- Connect with others who have the skills to help you overcome roadblocks and realize your ultimate idea.
- Browse jobs from industry employers or find opportunities
Live Ops Analytics
Real-time insights with live-ops analytics
Unity Analytics gives you fast, easy access to important information that helps you improve your in-game economy and the player experience.
- Complete set of live-operation features (game & player analytics, heatmaps, performance monitoring) to monitor player activity.
- No SDK! Unity Analytics is built-in Unity, so No SDK!
Discover app errors
Unity Performance Reporting addresses issues in real-time.
- Find and address the high priority issues that your customers are experiencing
- Collect and react to application errors, in real-time, across devices and platforms.
The simplest way to increase revenue
Unity offers built-in solutions to maximize your success.
- Revenue-generation solutions: Ads & IAP
- A complete set of live-operation analytics features for monitoring player activity.
- Continuous improvements: Optimize the performance of your live games in real-time, without redeployment, and increase user Lifetime Value (LTV) with the power of analytics data.
Acquire New Audiences
Advertise across Unity Ads and get new customers delivered right to your doorstep
- Access premium gaming & entertainment inventory
- Zero-in on target audiences across 1B+ unique devices reached
- Reach audiences at the right place, time, and when they’re engaged the most
Viral user growth
With Everyplay, your users can share videos of their best moments and brag about your game to their friends. Great success, epic fails, hilarious scenes–video replays of these in-game moments drive FREE, organic installs for your game.