Get insight into our future plans, and when you can expect access to new services, features and functionality in the Unity platform.
Please note that our primary goal is to provide you with stable and reliable releases. As such, any indications of target release dates and features listed are subject to change.RSS feed
- At Risk
- On Track
Released Jul 25th, 2019
APK file size validation for Android App Bundles
When you chose to release to Google Play store with Android App Bundle AAB (more info https://blogs.unity3d.com/2018/10/03/support-for-android-app-bundle-aab-in-unity-2018-3-beta/), we check the size of AAB at the end of the build process. If it’s greater than 500Mb we display a warning, and give you the option to compute the sizes of the individual APKs.
Assembly Definition Reference Files
Add support for Assembly Definition Reference (.asmref) files. These allow for adding additional source code directories to an existing Assembly Definition (.asmdef) file.
C# Job System Support for Polygonal Queries on the NavMesh
Methods for obtaining polygonal geometry from the NavMesh, compatible with the C# job system.
Denoising Enhancements for Lightmappers
Added support for the cross-platform Intel lightmap denoiser. Intel Open Image Denoise can produce smooth noise free lightmaps with few samples.
GPU Lightmapper Features
- Reduce memory footprint on GPU when baking lightmaps by compressing normal vectors and albedo.
- Submesh support.
- Multiple importance sampling support.
- Performance Improvements.
Optimized Frame Pacing
Frame pacing delivers consistency of frame rate by enabling frames to be distributed with less variance between them, creating smoother gameplay.
Package Level Visibility
- Add ability to hide/show Packages in the Project Browser and Object Picker, depending on the package type set in its manifest.
- Add button in Project Browser and Object Picker to toggle package visibility (include/exclude hidden packages).
- Add package `type` property and `hideInEditor` advanced property in the Package manifest Inspector.
Physics Upgrade to NVCloth
Upgrade cloth lib from deprecated PxCloth to NvCloth.
Released Apr 16th, 2019
Add OpenGL ES 3.2 Support on Android
Add WebAssembly multi-threading support
ARM64 support for UWP
Developers can now target the ARM64 64 architecture when building for the Universal Windows Platform.
Async Shader Compilation
Fast Iteration on Android
Add a special path to support script-only fast iteration on Android mono.
Expand to assets hot reload based on addressables.
Freeform Animation : Modular Rigging
A form of rigging that uses a collection of interchangeable parts that connect together to create a modular rig. Each interchangeable part is comprised of a series of RigConstraints that defines how the part moves, deforms, and is influenced by other parts of the ControlRig.
Garbage Collector Upgrade
Experimental support for incremental garbage collection, which should reduce stutters and time spikes.
GPU Lightmapper Improvements
- Fix Non-Uniform Scaling
- Double Sided GI Support
- Cast and Receive Shadows
- Enable on OS X and Linux
Graphics Format API (Experimental)
The GraphicsFormat APIs provide performance by default through a full support of all GPU formats through an explicit engine behavior controlled by the users to avoid that extra hidden copy that would limit the user creativity.
Add H265/HEVC transcoding support on Windows and OSX Editor
Particle System C# Job System Support (Experimental)
Experimental C# Job System support allows you to efficiently read and write particle data from within a C# Job with no additional copies of your particle data.
Progressive Lightmapper Updates
- Optix Denoiser
- Add Multiple Importance Sampling (MIS) for environment lighting
Improve the Shortcut Management in the Editor. Make it possible for users to be able to remap keyboard shortcuts, and let feature developers be able to expose actions that can be mapped to shortcuts. The system is able to gracefully handle conflicts, where 2 actions are assigned to the same keys.
Texture Mip Map Streaming in Edit Mode
Texture Mip Map Streaming was added in 2018.2 for Play Mode and Standalone players.
This new feature enables Texture Mip Map streaming in Edit Mode in the Editor:
- This saves GPU texture memory in Editor by only loading the mips required for the Scene View or Play Mode views.
- This feature is disabled by default but can be enabled in the Editor settings.
Timeline Signals are an easy way for Timeline to interact with objects in the scene. Using a signal emitter and a signal asset, you can trigger a signal receiver that will define a set of pre-configured reactions to your Timeline.
UIElements for Editor Extensions
A new retained-mode GUI framework to rapidly develop performant and reusable Editor Extensions.
World Building Scene Visibility
In the scene view or via the inspector, toggle hide/unhide on one or more selected GameObjects.
- In the scene view you can select multiple objects and hide them.
- In the inspector, a visual feedback will be added to the GameObject (Ex: color, icon, ...).
- In the inspector, you can toggle visibility with the same visual feedback.
- If the GameObject is a parent of other GameObjects, the user will be able to hide/unhide all object from the parent’s hierarchy or only hide/unhide the parent.
Alpha in progress
Add UNET encryption support
Provide a way for users to be able to manipulate the UNET network payload in order to add encryption and any extra layers of security as required by their projects.
This allows users to secure all UNET communication between their clients and servers, a requirement on the Xbox One platform when using cloud-based dedicated servers as well as something that more and more online games are interested in implementing for security purposes.
This feature has been released to and used by several users already as custom builds of 2017.4 and 2018.3.
This Epic covers the implementation for the following platforms:
Fast Enter Playmode without DomainReload
Unity as a library for native mobile apps
Feedback BuildsHelp us make Unity better
Usability and Functional Feedback (Targeted or Public)
Editor: Linux Support
Unity Feedback Link - Linux Support for Editor
New Input System (Preview)
Create a better, more adaptable input system for Unity.
- Event-based, framerate-independent input delivery
- Custom device creation
- More consistency between platforms and input devices
- Better integration of variety of input types
- Better support for multiple control schemes
- Better separation between input and game logic
- Deeper API access
- More customizability
Redesigned editor asset and component icons
The icons are getting a stylistic update, while being designed for greater consistency.
In-progress, timelines long or uncertain
2D Physics - Low Level API
- Expose low-level collider primitives of circle, edge, polygon & capsule and ability to retrieve from existing Collider 2D components.
- New 2D collider with ability to be composed of low-level collider primitives.
- Super fast, primitive intersection tests with batching support not requiring 2D collider components.
- Gizmo support for primitive collider shapes of circle, edge, polygon & capsule. Useful in visualising/debugging intersection tests.
2D Physics - Simulation
- Multi-instance 2D physics worlds.
- Ability to assign simulation group(s) to Rigidbody2D and simulate specific group(s) and/or calculate contacts for those group(s) only.
- Expose contact processing allowing users to defer contact solving, enable/disable contacts etc.
Addressable Assets System for Creating, Managing and Loading Content
Addressable Assets handle the code complexity of creating, managing, and loading content by removing the steepest part of the learning curve and automating tedious tasks. Addressable Assets decouple the project code and content layout to eliminate the need for tracking assets and refactoring code. By starting with Addressable Assets, your game development can scale without increasing complexity. The game creator no longer needs to think about shipping details while making their game.
Animation Generic IK
User definable IK chains
Add the ability to record Main and Mixer outputs to file
Automatic convex decompositions
- Integrate V-HACD
- A single mesh can be automatically decomposed into a set of convex MeshColliders
- Helps with collision detection performance and accuracy
- Enables sophisticated meshes on dynamic bodies and triggers
Basic Player Localization
The basic player localization feature is a set of features to add localization support in games made with Unity.
Deeper, more prominent reporting of information about the player build process and outputs.
Distributed LAN lighting builds
Polish the Hackweek X project on distributing lighting builds (precompute/baking) across machines on a LAN. The aim is to make a system that will automatically discover available machines and use them for time consuming lighting builds. No setup should be required. Video .
Editor DPI Emulation
Extend Game View resolutions by also emulating a given DPI.
Particularly useful for getting accurate representations of UI layouts on target devices.
Graphics: Expose more formats to C#
Allows creating texture and rendertexture with all the formats supported by modern GPUs
Gives the users ability to easily view all the draw calls for the IMGUI, with the option to open the source file in the right location, view all the data used to render the item.
Localization of Editor UI (Japanese)
Localization of the Editor UI. (No runtime or building localized assets)
PBR Mobile Optimizations
Standard shader needs optimizations for low-end mobile/PC platforms. Some of these need to be GPU specific (for very popular GPU families)
- Optimizations for Apple/PowerVR GPUs
- Approximate/simplify for low-end GPUs like Mali-400
- Automatic switching between "do math in shader" vs "texture lookup table" depending on GPU
- Procedural Skybox shader optimizations
Profiler: Profiling API improvements
Low-overhead C# Samplers. Ability to collect high-level performance data in non-development players.
Save Play Mode Changes
Make it possible to selectively persist changes made during Play Mode so they are not lost.
Snapshot tracks for Timeline
Stereo (Multi) Layer Support
Adds support for rendering textures directly to an HMD compositor, bypassing the application rendering.
Video: Network Streaming
ResearchProvide feedback or discuss ideas
Investigations & design work
2D Physics - Animation
- New Animatable 2D Collider that tracks SpriteRender mesh.
- Explicit Kinematic Rigidbody2D Hierarchy control.
2D Physics - Colliders
- EdgeCollider2D 'adjacent edge' support allowing chaining of EdgeCollider2D together with virtual edges.
- EdgeCollider2D to EdgeCollider2D collision support
2D Physics - Effectors
- New asset-based effector behaviour system allowing blending of multiple behaviours.
- SurfaceEffector2D "speed-up only" support disabling slowing down if surface speed is too high.
2D Physics - Fluids
- LiquidFun Integration
2D Physics - Joints
- HingeJoint2D motor "free spin" support
- Joint2D anchor local scaling support
2D Physics - Materials
- Full integrated shared physics materials
2D Physics - Performance
- Asynchronous CompositeCollider2D outline and triangulation.
- Asynchronous PolygonCollider2D triangulation.
- Multithreaded simulation.
2D Physics - Rigidbodies
- Transform write-back to planes other than XY using swizzle option i.e. write back to XZ, YZ etc.
- Customised collision modes allowing alternatives to layer-based detection.
- Distance based wake-sleep for Rigidbody2D.
- Ability to retrieve all Rigidbody2D, Collider2D & Joint2D.
- Wake/Sleep Callbacks.
Android: Support for Visual Studio project export
Allows Android target to export Visual Studio project, you can the both build apk files and debug Android application from within Visual Studio.
In Visual Studio 2015, Microsoft added support for Android. It has capabilities of both building Android applications (with gradle) and debugging Android applications (with gdb wrapper).
Collaborate: Project Branching
Support more than one version of a project, for selective development
- Streamlined and unified structure for the increasing number of windows, tools, and visualisations in the editor.
Full physical light support
Physical units, CCT, IES, ...
Script Api Updater: Expose APIUpdater to Asset Store authors
Give Asset Store authors the ability change their APIs with less friction and retain compatibility
- Allows you to visually compare differences in your Unity project for prefabs and scenes.
Initial prototype of Visual Scripting, for internal demonstration and feedback gathering purposes.