Get insight into our future plans, and when you can expect new features and functionality in Unity to be released.
Please note that our primary goal is to provide you with stable and reliable releases. As such, any indications of target release dates and features listed are subject to change.RSS feed
- At Risk
- On Track
2017.3.0Download Current Release
Released Dec 19, 2017
32 bit Mesh Index Buffers
Adds support for 32 bit index buffers, allowing to have meshes that have more than 65535 vertices.
360 Video Player
Allows you to bring in a 360 2D or 3D movie into Unity and play it back on the Skybox.
Assembly Definition Files
Ability to specify separate assemblies for user scripts.
- Better in-editor tools for authoring Cloth
- More of PhysX internals exposed (more options for collisions, self-collisions, etc)
Crunch compression library update
- Support ETC_RGB4 and ETC2_RGBA8 compression
- Improve compression ratio and speed for DXT compression
GPU Instancing Improvements
- Per-instance properties are now packed into a structure data type. One instancing constant buffer contains only one array of such structures.
- For most platforms the instancing array sizes no longer need to be specified by user: they are instead calculated automatically (maximum allowed constant buffer size / size of the above mentioned structure type).
- Instancing batch sizes are therefore improved on OpenGL and Metal, and instancing shader variants compile much faster and potentially costs less in terms of CPU-GPU data bandwidth.
HDR support in lightmap pipeline
Light LODs with realtime probes and baked lightmaps
Lighting Modes for Progressive Lightmapper
macOS Player Native Crash Reporting
Model Importer Improvements
- Add Markdown (.md) to the list of extensions recognized by TextScriptImporter.
- Add "Preserve Hierarchy" toggle to Model Importer to prevent root transform from being stripped when it has no sibling roots.
- Update SketchUp SDK.
Particle Shaders providing core particle rendering functionality
- Includes Surface and Unlit shaders
- Blended Flipbooks
- Soft Particle settings
Particle System Ribbons
A new Trail Module option to have particles generate a trail between each particle based on their age.
Particle System Speed Multiplier
Add a Speed Multiplier curve to the Velocity Module.
Recording Video from Editor playmode playback
Implement recording to generate video from editor playmode playback.
Support for alternative display manager Wayland on desktop Linux (Preview)
Universal Manipulator / Transform Tool
The Transform Tool combines the position, rotation and scale tools in a single tool.
Zoom in Animator Controller Window
Ability to zoom, frame & autofit in the Animator window.
2018.1.0Download Current Beta
Currently in Beta
2D Physics - Multithreaded Simulation (experimental)
2D Physics simulation ability to run on multiple cores.
Add support for IL2CPP scripting backend for macOS standalone
Add support for IL2CPP scripting backend for macOS standalone. This brings the CPU speed improvements of il2cpp to the MacOS standalone player.
Add support for IL2CPP scripting backend for windows standalone
Add support for IL2CPP scripting backend for windows standalone. This brings the CPU speed improvements of il2cpp to the Windows standalone player.
Animation: Weighted Tangents
This feature allows animators to create animation curves with fewer keys and smoother curves, by letting them control the weight of the tangents. Once a tangent is set to Weighted, the user can stretch it to affect the curve interpolation without adding any additional keys, for a smoother, more precise result.
Audio Sample Output API
Build Reports C# API
Allows retrieval of information about the build process after it has completed.
C# Job System
Support for asynchronous jobs in C#
C# Job system support for Navmesh navigation
Adds support for position, rotation, scale, aim and parent constraints.
Dynamic Resolution for PS4
Allows users to scale their render textures by a given percentage per-frame at runtime to have better control of the GPU load and maintain framerate.
GPU Instancing: Support for GI
Improve Crash Handling & Reporting
- Improve the user experience when Unity crashes: more sensible and informative error messages, better reporting UI, and so on.
- Report crash information to Unity's Performance Reporting service. This will help Unity diagnose and eliminate common crashes.
- Improve the reliability and accuracy of the crash handling process in Unity.
Lightmap UV overlap visualization
UV overlap visualization makes it easy to detect and resolve lightmap chart bleeding
Native Cross-Platform AR APIs
Provides an abstraction layer consisting of APIs and built-in components for building AR apps across ARKit (iOS) and ARCore (Android).
Net Standard 2.0 Support and New "Unity" Profile
Net Standard 2.0 Support
New "Unity" Profile (supporting netstandard 2.0) optimized for size and AOT friendly
Particle System GPU Mesh Instancing
Adds support to the Particle System to render meshes using efficient GPU Instancing, when instancing shaders are applied to Particle Systems. On GPU that support instancing, this allows you to render more particles in less time.
Particle System Orbital/Radial Velocity
Adds new options to the Velocity over Lifetime module to add orbital and radial velocity:
- Orbital velocity spins particles around their Transform component
- Radial velocity propels particles out from the center
- Orbital offset, which allows users to specify a custom center for the rotation.
Particle System Sub Emitter improvements
Adds the ability to trigger Sub Emitters from the Trigger Module, and also via script.
Particle System Texture Emission Shape
Take the colors and alpha from a Texture source, and use it to generate particles.
Physics C# Job system support - async raycasts
C# Job system support for async raycasts.
Allows users to:
- Create and apply Preset assets directly from nearly any object inspector using the new Preset tool, or from the new API
- Apply Presets with drag & drop
- Set global default Presets from a Preset's inspector or from the new Preset Manager
- Create importers and Components with default Presets from UI, or using a new object creation API
- Display and edit Presets in the new Preset inspector
- Individual types can be blacklisted to prevent them from being "presettable"
Progressive Lightmapper Large Scene Support
Scriptable Rendering Pipelines
- Complete rendering pipelines constructed & driven from C# code
- Similar to CommandBuffers, but operate on whole sets of objects, with efficient implementations in native code
- Can imagine something like “deferred shading” just being a C# script that you can also modify to your needs (change G-buffer layout etc.)
Stereo 360 Capture
Experimental feature. Adds support for capturing monoscopic or stereoscopic 360 images as cubemap images. Works in the editor and at runtime.
Tessellation for Metal
Tessellation for Metal
Timeline: Clip Edit Modes
Mix, Ripple and Replace edit modes for Timeline clips,
Video: Android Asset Bundle Support
Feedback BuildsHelp us make Unity better
Usability and Functional Feedback (Targeted or Public)
[Package] LW Render Pipeline
Scriptable Render Pipelines: Lightweight pipeline
Editor: Linux Support
Unity Feedback Link - Linux Support for Editor
New Input System (Preview)
Create a better, more adaptable input system for Unity.
- Event-based, framerate-independent input delivery
- Custom device creation
- More consistency between platforms and input devices
- Better integration of variety of input types
- Better support for multiple control schemes
- Better separation between input and game logic
- Deeper API access
- More customizability
Redesigned editor asset and component icons
The icons are getting a stylistic update, while being designed for greater consistency.
In-progress, timelines long or uncertain
2D Physics - Low Level API
- Expose low-level collider primitives of circle, edge, polygon & capsule and ability to retrieve from existing Collider 2D components.
- New 2D collider with ability to be composed of low-level collider primitives.
- Super fast, primitive intersection tests with batching support not requiring 2D collider components.
- Gizmo support for primitive collider shapes of circle, edge, polygon & capsule. Useful in visualising/debugging intersection tests.
[Package] 2D Animation
Redesigned 2D character animation workflow with IK posing support
Add WebAssembly multi-threading support
Animation Generic IK
User definable IK chains
Animation Stream API (C# jobs)
Apple Watch Basic Compatibility
Add the ability to record Main and Mixer outputs to file
Automatic convex decompositions
- Integrate V-HACD
- A single mesh can be automatically decomposed into a set of convex MeshColliders
- Helps with collision detection performance and accuracy
- Enables sophisticated meshes on dynamic bodies and triggers
Basic Player Localization
The basic player localization feature is a set of features to add localization support in games made with Unity.
Deeper, more prominent reporting of information about the player build process and outputs.
Building Android games as ARM64 bit executables
Adding ARM64 bit runtime support for Android, based on IL2CPP technology. Currently, only 32-bit ARM or x86 builds for Android can be produced using Unity. Almost all current chipsets ship as 64-bit however, and we're not leveraging the advantages that brings: running 64-bit Android apps will have performance benefits, plus games will be able to address more than 4 GB of memory space.
Built-in support for Resonance Audio spatializer
Integrated support for the Resonance Audio spatializer in the Unity Editor.
Distributed LAN lighting builds
Polish the Hackweek X project on distributing lighting builds (precompute/baking) across machines on a LAN. The aim is to make a system that will automatically discover available machines and use them for time consuming lighting builds. No setup should be required. Video .
Editor DPI Emulation
Extend Game View resolutions by also emulating a given DPI.
Particularly useful for getting accurate representations of UI layouts on target devices.
Freeform Animation : Modular Rigging
A form of rigging that uses a collection of interchangeable parts that connect together to create a modular rig. Each interchangeable part is comprised of a series of RigConstraints that defines how the part moves, deforms, and is influenced by other parts of the ControlRig.
Garbage Collector Upgrade
Upgrade to a modern, generational, low latency Garbage Collector (GC). This will reduce stutters and time spikes spent in GC during collection.
Support for GPU acceleration of the Progressive Lightmapper. On machines with beefy GPUs lightmap baking with the Progressive Lightmapper will be significantly faster. This will improve iteration and end-to-end baking times. Does not affect the Enlighten baking backend.
Graphics: Expose more formats to C#
Allows creating texture and rendertexture with all the formats supported by modern GPUs
Gives the users ability to easily view all the draw calls for the IMGUI, with the option to open the source file in the right location, view all the data used to render the item.
Improved Prefab Workflows
This update introduces a number of improvements to Unity’s Prefab workflows.
- Nested Prefabs. Yes, it’s finally happening.
- Prefab Variants. This feature lets a Prefab inherit the properties of another Prefab.
- Prefab Mode. New workflow for editing Prefab assets in isolation. You’ll no longer need to drag a Prefab to an open Scene to edit it.
Localization of Editor UI (Japanese)
Localization of the Editor UI. (No runtime or building localized assets)
New Nintendo 3DS
OpenGL ES 2.0 support on Mac for emulation
PBR Mobile Optimizations
Standard shader needs optimizations for low-end mobile/PC platforms. Some of these need to be GPU specific (for very popular GPU families)
- Optimizations for Apple/PowerVR GPUs
- Approximate/simplify for low-end GPUs like Mali-400
- Automatic switching between "do math in shader" vs "texture lookup table" depending on GPU
- Procedural Skybox shader optimizations
Updates Camera component to optionally allow setting Focal Length / Sensor Size instead of vertical FOV in "Physical Camera" mode. These values will also be imported from FBX.
Profiler: Profiling API improvements
Low-overhead C# Samplers. Ability to collect high-level performance data in non-development players.
Save Play Mode Changes
Make it possible to selectively persist changes made during Play Mode so they are not lost.
Snapshot tracks for Timeline
Stereo (Multi) Layer Support
Adds support for rendering textures directly to an HMD compositor, bypassing the application rendering.
Video: Network Streaming
Windows Player Native Crash Reporting
ResearchVote for features or add new ideas
Investigations & design work
2D Physics - Animation
- New Animatable 2D Collider that tracks SpriteRender mesh.
- Explicit Kinematic Rigidbody2D Hierarchy control.
2D Physics - Colliders
- EdgeCollider2D 'adjacent edge' support allowing chaining of EdgeCollider2D together with virtual edges.
- EdgeCollider2D to EdgeCollider2D collision support
2D Physics - Effectors
- New asset-based effector behaviour system allowing blending of multiple behaviours.
- SurfaceEffector2D "speed-up only" support disabling slowing down if surface speed is too high.
2D Physics - Fluids
- LiquidFun Integration
2D Physics - Joints
- HingeJoint2D motor "free spin" support
- Joint2D anchor local scaling support
2D Physics - Materials
- Full integrated shared physics materials
2D Physics - Performance
- Asynchronous CompositeCollider2D outline and triangulation.
- Asynchronous PolygonCollider2D triangulation.
- Multithreaded simulation.
2D Physics - Rigidbodies
- Transform write-back to planes other than XY using swizzle option i.e. write back to XZ, YZ etc.
- Customised collision modes allowing alternatives to layer-based detection.
- Distance based wake-sleep for Rigidbody2D.
- Ability to retrieve all Rigidbody2D, Collider2D & Joint2D.
- Wake/Sleep Callbacks.
2D Physics - Simulation
- Multi-instance 2D physics worlds.
- Ability to assign simulation group(s) to Rigidbody2D and simulate specific group(s) and/or calculate contacts for those group(s) only.
- Expose contact processing allowing users to defer contact solving, enable/disable contacts etc.
2D: Standard Shader for Various Image Effects
Extended 2D shaders that provides various image effects including 2D lighting and shadow.
Android: Support for Visual Studio project export
Allows Android target to export Visual Studio project, you can the both build apk files and debug Android application from within Visual Studio.
In Visual Studio 2015, Microsoft added support for Android. It has capabilities of both building Android applications (with gradle) and debugging Android applications (with gdb wrapper).
Apple Watch Improved Integration
Collaborate: Project Branching
Support more than one version of a project, for selective development
- Streamlined and unified structure for the increasing number of windows, tools, and visualisations in the editor.
Full physical light support
Physical units, CCT, IES, ...
Profiler: Improving GPU profiling on mobile
Traditional timer query based GPU profiling is not working on many mobile GPU architectures. Figure out better ways to achieve some GPU profiling. Develop new OpenGL ES extensions if needed.
Recording API for iOS and Android (experimental)
Recording API provides a high-performance thin-layer audio and screen and front-camera recording functionality to Unity engine on iOS and Android platforms.
Recording API allows developers to record their gameplay moments so that can be shared to different audiences.
Script Api Updater: Expose APIUpdater to Asset Store authors
Give Asset Store authors the ability change their APIs with less friction and retain compatibility
Overhaul of Unity's terrain system with a focus on rendering of many hundreds of thousands of terrain objects, a tool set for fast world building, foliage placement, natural landscape decoration tooling.
- Allows you to visually compare differences in your Unity project for prefabs and scenes.
- Built on top of the existing Unity smart merge (YAMLMerge).
Initial prototype of Visual Scripting, for internal demonstration and feedback gathering purposes.
WebGL multi-threading (Shared Array Buffers)